Thursday, October 2, 2008

Orego'wned

Big Update #2

Day 15, 9-24-08: To the Martins!

After leaving Florence, Oregon in the early morning I stopped at the Sea Lions Cave along the coast near Florence, and paid my $10 to go look at big giant blubbery sea mammals. Or so I thought.

Alas, at this time of year the year-round resident herd is mostly offshore, fishing, frolicking, making noise and generally doing what sea lions do. The only animals left are the homebodies, and today they occupied a stipend of rock that was hard to take a picture of.



The cave itself wasn't that exciting. First, I thought it would be bigger. Second, there were no sealions in it. Third, it stunk of fish, sealion and seawater impregnated rocks. blech. Overall, a bit disappointing, but I have it on good account that the cave is far more full, interesting and revolting when the population returns en masse to overwinter.

Next I traveled inland back over the Cascades on my way to Renee Martins house in Bend, Oregon for the night. I took a route called the Old McKenzie Highway that crosses over a particularly high pass, that runs across lava fields and other phenomena left over from recent eruptions in the Cascades. This road switchbacks up about 3000 feet, and when I mean switchback, I mean 140 degree turns, every 500 feet of road. It's a steep climb, and I really didn't enjoy putting that strain on my car.

But the scenery made it worthwhile. The second pic is from a lava flow called Belknap crater. As soon as I saw it a voice in my head said "climbing time" as I jumped out and started scrambling across the sharp crags and air-filled pumice ridges.


Next I came upon the highest point along the pass and an observatory built but the CCC in the 1930s. It was especialyl interesting since there were holes cut into the sides of the rock structure that looked directly at all the peaks visible from the site-some of them 50 miles away.



So, enough climbing. I crested the range finally and drove on to Mrs. Martin's house in Bend, Oregon. Why's it called Bend? Presumably from the big bend in the Deschutes River that runs through the town. Else it was a rickets colony. Anyways

I arrived at Mrs. Martin's house to a warm greeting, a beer, and conversation. After awhile I did some laundry, dried out my sodden tent and we had a delicious dinner of that included pork chops! We also took pictures of the Franket for posterity.



Anways, awoke the next morning to some Honey Nut Cheerios and headed off south. I'd like to thank Mrs. Martin for the hospitality, food and laundry; it was all awesome and I really appreciate it!

Day 16, 9-25-08: Big Rocks, Big Craters, oh my!

I departed Bend with a full stomach and headed south, to another pair of geological phenomena. First is called the Big Obsidian Flow, part of the Newberry volcanic monument and park. The big obsidian flow is, indeed, a big chunk of obsidian and pumice. From what I gather this phenomena occured when a magma pocket a few miles below the crust found a narrow avenue to escape the surface, but not large enough to pull a Crater Lake. The gases and magma spewed out not unlike the whistle on a tea kettle, and the peculiar actions present in this occurance created a roiling, churning mess that caused portions of the magma to cool exceedingly quickly, forming obsidian, interspersed with large chunks of gas-filled pumice.



Anyways, there's lots of obsidian laying about along with historical markers dealing with it's value to Native American cultures. I acquired a piece of obsidian from a rock shop along the way, as I couldn't pick up any chunks of obsidian due the national parks-type protection the site has. But its still a pretty cool artifact, worthy of shot-glass case display. It's hard to get a good shot of the obsidian, so you'll have to go there for yourself to experience this natural oddity.

Next I drove farther south to Crater Lake National Park. Crater Lake formed after a volcano just couldn't take it anymore and blew its top off. It left behind a large crater that filled with water to depth of over 1,900 feet, along with a wife and 3 kids. I toured around the crater for a few hours, eventually finding another spot to climb. Along the western rim of the crater is a ranger post/overlook on top of The Watchman that you must climb 700 or so feet to enjoy. So I did. In about 45 minutes of a few dozen swithcbacks. At least the ground is nice soft crushed pumice though.



You can see for many miles from that vantage point, including forest fires off to the west. The lake itself is sapphire blue, with some discolored and I suspect archeabacterially filled waters around Wizard Island. Even the wildlife is enthralled. Then of course there's my one-eyed car far below.




Last is a pic from my car of the peak where the chipmunk lives, along with a glacial remnant hanging onto the side of Hillman Peak.

Next I drove along even more long, twisty, turny roads filled with impatiant a--holes to Crescent City California. Home of the Biggest Trees Evar.

More soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was so nice to see Rocket Dog Jr. from afar!! Crater Lake looked really pretty. Have fun with in the REDWOODS!