Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Franket, Realized

I have returned to Minnesota with the help of the parents, after a number of sendoffs and drinking activities with my friends in State College. Interestingly it is so far hotter and stickier in Minnesota than it was for the last 6 weeks in State College. I blame that on the silly polar bears for losing their habitat to the falsehood of global warming.

Anyways, the Franket:


Wow, I was impressed and a bit overwhelmed. It was the coolest and most beautifully tacky thing I have ever seen. Above from left to right are Solmaz the Welsh, Karee the DD, Frank the Lost and Jennelle the Blonde. The ladies in the pic are primary creators of the Franket, with Karee acting as headmistress and assembler.

The Franket is composed of 42 individually knit squares averaging 10 inches on a side. There are fuzzy squares and knitted wool squares. Squares that look like multicolored mycelium. even squares that appear to have been knitted by an LSD-addled hippy. But in all the Franket is a masterful work of...art? that I will treasure forever.

Thank you to all who participated in it's creation. I promise to air the Franket at all of my stops, taking pictures with it wherever I can. It will also grace the end of my bed wherever I go.

/tear, thanks!

6 comments:

shortstuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shortstuff said...

awwww thanks frank!
but actually, the squares are sposed to be 9 inches dammit! NINE INCHES DAMMIT!! LOL!

also, there are NO wool squares. that was another STRICT rule, NO WOOL! therefor you may wash it after you've spilled your beer on it.
see, i WAS thinking of you while making this!

~the head mistress (i like that :) )

Unknown said...

Frank,

All the best of luck in your journey. I have a couple cool places for you to check out on the west coast. What is the exact day of departure so I know when to check the thread.

- Ken (aka Oneeach)

Unknown said...

Okay...so my wifes toon name is the one that comes up...niiicce....Dina says hi by the way.

Godfather said...

Dear Frank,
If not late, take the Corn Palace in South Dakota off your list. Better yet, see the Corn Palace. After that everything will seem interesting!
Regards, The Godfather
P.S. Congrats on the graduation

Solmaz said...

Hi Frank! How's the franket? I hope it is on display in your house. How's the planning of the trip going? I can't wait to hear about it!
~welshie